Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Art Museum Critique


Art Critique
1.       Which museum did you visit?
I visited the University of Utah of Fine Arts Museum.

2.       Describe at least one of the broad collections on a theme, period, geographic region, or topic within the museum.
At the museum, I visited the Prints from the Great Depression. They were more modern looking, and they were mostly black and white. Each picture represented a main theme of what went on during the Depression. There were many pieces that I enjoyed. The first one that I particularly liked was called Cradling Wheat by Thomas Hart Benton. Why it stood out to me was because people were standing in the fields gathering wheat and the background was all rolling hills. The landscape seemed to be limitless with puffy white clouds in the sky. Even though this picture was a black and white print, it still was easy to imagine the rich colors of the afternoon in the wheat fields. Another one that was intriguing was Thanksgiving Dinner by Doris Lee. This picture wasn’t particularly sad like many of the pictures were, but this picture seemed to be happy. Why I thought this was because the Depression was extremely hard and gloomy, hence the name of the era. Many families stood in line at the soup kitchen, and there were still families that were starving and evicted from their homes. However, this print gave me the idea that even though people didn’t have nearly enough to eat, they somehow made it work. Somehow they were able to have a thanksgiving, and I think we take that for granted since many of us have the luxury of pantries and fridges filled to the brim. Most American families even have two freezers—one for the house, one for outside.

3.       Give a one paragraph description of a special exhibit.
I enjoyed the exhibit that was the European 17th and 18th Centuries. They had many portraits of pretty girls, and it was interesting to see their take on beauty. Everyone had their finest dresses on, and they all were wearing cheerful colors. They all had their hair either in an up-do, or they had pretty golden ringlets that were accessorized with pearls or flowers. When I first looked at the paintings, I wondered why people back then looked so different from the way people look in modern times. Then, I realized that they had a lot of interbreeding and first cousins marrying first cousins, and that’s the result of why they look so different from us. Another reason why I think this exhibit is interesting is because I’ve always loved the old paintings that capture a person. They always have that angelic serene look about them. I also like that they adorn themselves in nature some of the time. For example, many portraits of girls wear flower crowns and string them through their hair. I also think that the portraits capture women’s beauty or men’s handsomeness and what they feel like in that moment.

4.       What kind of information is provided about the works? Identify three places you might see for more detailed information that doesn’t include the web.
Well, the curator wasn’t very helpful. They don’t really like to be asked questions, so I brainstormed a bit of where I could find more information on the works. You could go to the library and look up books about that specific painter, you could ask the curator more information (that is if they don’t mind), and there are background information on the painting’s plaque itself.

5.       Choose several works that particularly appealed to you. Explain why you were drawn to these works.
The first picture that I liked was Princess Eudocia Ivanovna Galitzine as Flora by Marie-Louise-Elisabeth Vigee Ie Brun. This portrait was found in the European 18th and 19th Centuries exhibit. I think that this picture is very pretty. She has a beautiful blue dress on with delicate sheer sleeves with a gold cuff on her forearm. Her orange sash seems to bring a warm and happy tone to her picture, and I love that she also included nature in the portrait. The basket of pink peonies and roses in a basket adds femininity with her dark and rich curly locks. I also think that she looks happy and peaceful in the picture which makes it even more enjoyable to look at.
The second picture is called Portrait of Mrs. Casberd painted by Sir Thomas Gainsborough. This woman doesn’t look happy. She seems to communicate through her picture that she is a stern woman who won’t put up with any funny business. However, she seems to look like a well-respected woman with great wisdom. I don’t know how I got that message out of this portrait, but she just seems like she’s a dignified woman, even though she looks strict and doesn’t have a fancy or important title to her name. However her blue dress softens her look—especially with the delicate laces and trimmings that lies on her shoulders. Her ornate jewelry of rubies and gold also adds femininity and it also adds a regal look to her portrait. Also, her hair makes her look more elegant because of the way it is swept up into a bun or other form of an up-do.
                The third picture I thought was interesting was Madame de Noalilles by Hyacinthe Rigaud. I also think that she is very pretty because of her fair skin; her silky, curly, high volume blonde hair (which I would kill for). She also is in one of her best dresses in the portrait. Her golden curls are strung with pearls, and I think that she also looks very happy and that she also feels beautiful in her portrait. Her dress has all sorts of rich color on it like gold, wine red, and deep blues, and cream tones. The lace on her dress also adds a pretty touch to it also. Why I like this portrait is because I like the fact that people would dress their finest dresses and do their hair so nicely all the time. I wonder what it would be like if society were to dress like that now. I would love to wear exquisite dresses every day, but I’m one of those girls who would wear a princess dress for any occasion.
                Another picture I enjoyed was Mademoiselle Marie-Madeleine Guimard (Woman Looking in a Mirror) by Jena-Honore Fragonard. This picture is one of my favorites because as a whole, it’s absolutely angelic, in my opinion. The young girl is wearing all white, and in the back of her, it looks like she has angel wings. She also is wearing a grown of pink flowers, and it’s beautiful the way they cascade around her body. She is also holding a mirror, looking into it and smiling at herself. Why I think this is significant in the picture is because thinking about modern times, many girls don’t see themselves as beautiful when they see themselves because  of what the media tells them how they’re supposed to look. I think that this portrait shows that this young woman has a high self esteem for herself, but she’s not vain about it. That’s why I think that this painting is my favorite.

6.       How did the artworks relate to the material discussed in class?
I remember that on the first or second day of class we saw a list of questions at the beginning of the textbook, and we wrote down questions that seemed thought provoking to us. One of them on my list was about how the world perceives beauty, and what we think what beauty is. To answer this question, the world believes that we should be a certain dress and bra size (for men, the world says that they should be more manly and muscular), buy buckets makeup to cover up every flaw that you can possibly find, and wear clothes that are “hip” at the moment. I think that it’s okay to wear makeup and not want to wear outlandish clothes and to want to try and look your best because we should. I think it’s a problem once people become so vain and overly concerned about what the world thinks about them, when in reality people don’t really care. They don’t care if you buy designer clothing or have the best makeup money can buy you. Not many people care if you’re a size 2 or 28. In fact, I think when people are caught up in the world, they lose themselves in a sea of people that are in the same position as them, and they’re not allowing themselves to be who they are. They’re letting society mold them into what they want people to be. I think it’s much better to live in the world rather than of the world. I don’t believe that you can pinpoint what beauty really is. Everyone is different, so how can anyone really define what true beauty is. A slogan that I remembered ties in with what beauty really is the Bare Escentuals makeup line had an ad on TV that says, “Pretty is what you are, beauty is what you do with it”. I think that slogan is profound because it’s true. The positive things that you do make you special, unique, and what you love make you beautiful.

7.       What was my personal reaction to this experience? Would this be an enjoyable activity to attend again?
I really liked this experience. I love going to museums of all different kinds because I’ve always found it so fascinating to learn more than what the classroom at school has to offer. I would definitely go back to attend the museum. I enjoyed being by myself in a quiet place where I can think on my own and analyze pictures and form my own opinions about them. I’ve always liked events like this because even though I am a social butterfly and I love being with my friends and family, I also like having some alone time because life can get overwhelming.

     





No comments:

Post a Comment